Friday, March 14, 2008

Two Letters I never sent

This is form my notes, and included in my zen master's joke book. Available nowhere for just the right price. I had no access to a temple or a Teacher whilst i started to study Zen. All i had was books written by some dead zen dudes, and books of quotes of ancient teachings. I was learning leaps and bounds, but i had no one to bounce my ideas off of. So i wrote journals, and in them even wrote conversations with the closest thing i could get to teacher or god related in my imagination.

So here are two letters to a Zen Master, i have never met. (later perhaps, i'll share letter three to one i thought i met.)



March 14 1999

Dear Zen Master,

I feel silly writing to you. Knowing that i do not need to confirm or deny my enlightenment by your enlightenment. I also know that the highest lesson you can teach me to understand this is by not writing back to me.

I am not looking for enlightenment. What i seek from you ,as teacher, is to guide, or should i say to help me guide me into worthy cultivation of the field of my mind. The heads are ripe with grain, help me produce the fruit of it.

I am a beginner in the practice of yoga, and sitting meditation. I received my great understanding while intoxicated, and after over 11 years of searching for truth. My awakening came with what is now called Essay 6

As i write this, i do not know where to send it. Yet i know when the student is ready the Master appears. Even if my master is myself. So whether i send this letter to you or to the achients i have my answer.

But the long and the short of it is, it sure would be nice to explore and cultivate enlightenment with a second and a third living Soul. To be guided toward finding the mysteries of all things.

There are "supernatural" powers, and there is wisdom, and there are vanities, and there is doing good for the sake of good doing. There is mysterious calm, and control and various states of mind I desire to explore but have no teacher to help with the methods, arts and disciplines.

In short, please help me to not become as Venerable Master Gao said: "Time and time again those who have sharp facilities awaken without much effort. Then they become complacent and neglect further cultivation. Eventually they drift back into their former confusion, unable to escape revolving in circles."

nameste and thank you
seeker and teacher of truth.



March 21 1999


Dear Zen Master,


What is there after you "grasp" the truth of all things? Yet though i have "grasped" it is hard to put off illusion in a world where i must live and work with others who are not awake. And i cannot effectually teach darkness how to see the light. For words like Gnostic, Mystic, and Esoteric are but perceptions of what is ungraspable by the eyes.

How do i cultivate wisdom? Do i continue to perceive it in my scriptures, in feeling the wind move, in my work and int he nature of things? Until someday, where knowledge of wisdom will make we wise.

Yes that is the correct answer. Thank You.

I have another question. When is a good time to make explanations for others i live with who ask me what i found? Do i reveal it when they ask my advice? Or do is study them and answer according to their folly? Am I a leader or a guide?

I think a guide is wiser, for the other leads to vanity.

What about my desires to accomplish things that bring joy even vain joy? Like practicing my religion, or writing my books? Is it OK int he light of truth or are all pleasure to be shunned?

I think if the pleasured where shunned there is no joy or blessing in truth. Yet if pleasures are sought with attachment and vanity there is no pleasure in truth.

Thank You again.

Now this question. What if prosperity comes my way? I think that for me to become a beggar serves only my vainity as does the giving away of all my wealth , serving my selfish desire. I guess that i think that the best way to enjoy any state where i happen to find myself is to enjoy what ever state i happen to find myself in. To be giving in both and to be loving in both and to be a beggar in both situations.

Because a Beggar has nothing to cal his own.

Thank You for listening

Seeker and Teacher of truth.

P.S. about the mind, why are we born into this ignorance and can we raise our children up enlightened?

may all be well with you,

S&TOT






1 comment:

Thank you Reader, thou art promoted to commentor. let's conversate.