Monday, September 8, 2008

Depression, doin' it zen-style

Let's talk about depression.

What i present will be according to the mechanics of my own mentality. it works for me. You may try to adopt any variation of the same, suited to your very own mental mechanics.

I used to be depressed. I am seldom suicidal anymore.That does not mean that i am free from emotional cycles or that I never have a self hating thought. But that i can recognise the words of thought, and realise they are false.

I can teach myself how to notice and understand the meaning and root and ridiculousness of these thoughts. I can also feel my emotions without the emotions attached to this thought pattern.

I am not these thoughts. I may separate myself from them, and control them.

Realise these thoughts. Watch them, how they mount in revolution. each darker and more hurtful. And the seduction of the desire to believe and act on these thoughts. How they beckon for action, for destruction.

See....

This spiral of thought has no power over me.

Even if i chose to believe it.
I am not that. I observe that. I react or respond to that.

These particular thoughts can only aggravate and distract.

What would they be distracting me from?

For me, the enjoyment of a peaceful moment, the time needed to give attention to my mundane life, the need of the work that lies waiting, and the simple enjoyment of life as it comes and the use of coping mechanisms when life is less than enjoyable, are the main objects from which these useless negative thoughts distract me.

Learn.

How do you chose your thoughts. And can you find happiness and enjoyment in the tiny moments you can liberate from negative reaction?

And now for a few side barre and likely not related thoughts from people who died a long long time ago........


From the TAO poem 72

When people are not awed by authority,
then great authority is attained.

Their homes are not small to them,
their livelihood not tiresome.

Therefore sages know themselves
but to not see themselves.

They take care of themselves
but do not exalt themselves.

So, they take one
and leave the other.


And "The Quest" a statement from Ying-an from some little Zen Book


The Quest of *real followers* of the path is just to oppose birth and death; they do not look for it in the sayings found in various sources in ancient and modern books. They just step back into themselves and bring it to mind, coolly yet keenly at the very root and stem.

Suddenly their hands slip, they lose their footing, and they are lost: this is graduation from the study of a lifetime.

Perceiving independently, like a solitary lamp, for the first time they are manifestly empowered.

They are like mountains: How could the fears of life and death shake them any more?


And again from TAO 70

My sayings are very easy to recognise,
and very easy to apply.

But no one in the world can recognise them,
and no one can apply them.

Sayings have a source,
events have a leader.

It is through ignorance
that i am not known.

Those who know me are rare;
those who emulate me are noble.

This is why sages dress plainly,
and conceal that is precious.

and From Jesus....

I speak unto the public in parables, that seeing they see not, but unto you it is given to know the mysteries of god.

and.....


You people spend your time listening to your brain babble at you about how stupid and worthless you are and how everything is your fault..oh my gawd you are the most sorry excuse for a human being i have ever seen.............

sheesh............you really need to work on a new mental hobby dude.


your guru signing out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you Reader, thou art promoted to commentor. let's conversate.