Sunday, February 27, 2011

Keshathra Part 1, Chapter Sixteen

****Jerry ****

"Well Dang Nab It Jerry, you went and Fucked with a whip carrier didn't you?"

Was an unusual way to be awaken, I jerked and twisted, four scabs split open and there was groaning. George apologized rushing to help me attempt comfort again. My gut hardened and I didn't know if I was angry or happy or if I was an absolute idiot to be sitting here cut up and George was let off his punishment instead. Eons of silent reaction passed between us despite liberties.

" I know what your thinking Jerry, and it was not for nothing, believe me I got punished. In fact I think I also got me in for another four years."
" What... but, are you in real trouble?"
"Not yet." He was gleefully snotty, I relaxed but was even more intrigued. "Then what ?" I demanded. His face went red, his knee to bouncing and he took every moment to get his words out. " Well um..."
"It's like this you see ... well ... Jerry ... i-I am gonna be a whip carrier."
But he could not keep his thrill down, he farging squealed like a girl...but there's more.
"Not just any ole whip-carrier that's too boring for me... but an undercover whip- carrier."
I jerked forward to pace and process the bomb detonated but found the action quite painfully inappropriate. Which only hastened my gut reaction.
"So George, you have actualised my worst fears about you. I am disappointed.
How will you tell your uncle that you are a confirmed career criminal?"
" I'll tell him I am a Reform Slave instead."

Our glee was short lived, he made a face of empathy saying it was time for him to get to work he wanted to know what I wanted for breakfast. When he left I laid back down and cried shamefully.

She just reformed my friend... and I... probably just revoked my parole.

I mean WHAT was I thinking? what I do all that for? I know so much better than to rush in, not kneel, and start out...."i got something i need to get off my chest."
What was I thinking?
What am I thinking? Mistress Carol wants an explanation and apology and I only got three days to come up with it. Where do I begin?
My mind was swelled with agitation and at some point I passed out.
Peter contacted me again in dream. He didn't have much to offer about how I was supposed to deal with my punishment. It was his memory of meeting carol in civics class.

" Days passed... class went back to normal routine, except that Miss Anderson was oftin absent for days at a time. In class she was sometimes interactive but most oftin distracted and quiet, typically on days before and after she was absent. I had taken to note these these patterns for evidence of my suspicions.

On this day as we had been reviewing the criminal justice system I produced the question."What is the intent of the Law?"

" To maintain social order." One said.
" To punish criminals." Quothe another.
" NO- to prevent crime." Corrected he that other.
" To help guide Citizens toward command of themselves." Carol ruled. I smiled impressed by her answer and tested the depth of her consideration of the subject.
"Then what is the purpose of reformation?" Carol's eyes shined as she customarily rose to address me.
" To personally assist citizens to realignment with the law and to encourage their strongest qualities of freedom upon which our laws are fashioned to endow."

I studied her, my brow made inquiry and my body rose politely to address her.
"Very impressive answer MsWies. And you call prisoners, slaves, reformees... 'citizens', why? Isn't the very notion of reform, to strip the prisoner of citizentry and worth for their crimes?"
"Their mistakes, Sir. They are people, people get confused and take miserable paths. They deserve the respect that the reform system is meant to provide to truly help them find their better way. And should be given their dignity, in the process of their punishment so they can come out all the better."
Before I could comment a boy, John Lancaster yelled venomously
"THEY ARE ANIMALS. Would you call my mother's rapist a citizen Carol? Because I sure don't!"
"Yes I do, John." She passionately answered him. " The rapist is a person who really did wrong and I guarantee is paying dearly for it right this moment." and the boy sad down angrily.
" So Carol, " I inserted. "What do you feel about the way we socially set the "people" apart, to include uniforms and scapegoating?"

"It is wrong Mister Gregg. I think that ... If I broke the law and had to pay by serving reformation and also had to endure the abuse of people like John because he thinks I am of the same stalk as his mother's rapist; when I personally would be doing my level best to improve myself ... well it is just plain wrong, cruel and for many a determent to the whole idea of a reform process in the first place." She gasped for air. I mused, she must be Lanel's best friend. I wondered if they have to flip a coin to see who gets to talk each night. I absently chuckled out loud.
"MsWies, remind me never to ask you what you really feel." All laughed. I continued." Channel your efforts into less as well as more powerful words. Are you thinking about a career in the field?"
" Yes Sir, since I was little." I winked at her. "Well good luck with that, but here is a hint, the best reformers don't have to say a word."

The room ebbed and swelled with passionate side conversations Carol rejoined the group argument. During which I presided over my own brood of reformees. Each of them be equally voiced and opinionated. Mine did not ware uniforms. And being on the cusp of release I had them join my class to prepare them for reassuming citizenship. Then addressed John.
" John, if not for a uniform would you be able to tell a prisoner from a citizen?" he thought a moment." No uniform, no customary deference either I guess? I think I could."
"How?" quizzed I. "Their criminal or guilt natures will show."
"Doen't it indeed, John. You are an example of the prejudice that leads to crime."























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you Reader, thou art promoted to commentor. let's conversate.